Following discussion at recent club meetings we have agreed to adopt the following policy concerning the involvement of young people (less than eighteen years of age) in the club’s activities.
The Mountaineering Club of Bury wishes to promote the involvement of all parts of the community in adventurous outdoor activities. We want to ensure that, through the club, people are able to participate in these activities safely and within the policies and guidance of the British Mountaineering Council.
The club has traditionally functioned as a group of adults and is now opening some of the privileges of membership to young people. On a trial basis the club has decided:
- To accept a limited number of applications from young people who are more than 16 years of age and have already gained some experience of outdoor activities
- To accept applications from young people only after they have discussed their experience and aspirations with a small panel of experienced club members
- To include young people only in suitable activities where an adult club member is prepared to act as a “sponsor” for the duration of that activity. A sponsor will provide support and supervision for the young person. The nature of such support will vary with the type of event and the needs of the young people. In essence the sponsor will act “in loco parentis”.
- To recognise that there will be club events where it will not be possible to include young people while operating within BMC guidelines and accordingly it will not be possible to include young members in every event.
- Young people will be welcome, as now, to attend events with their parents, guardians or family members who are adult members of the club.
The club will review the position of membership for young people following a trial period.